Thursday, October 6, 2011

Noah



This is Noah.                               And this is “Noah’s Farm.”

My first foray into baby nursery décor, I did this three-piece for the newborn son of my good friends, Gary and Sarah Gallinger.  It was his “Welcome to Earth” present.

Gary is a farm kid, I believe he knew how to drive a tractor before driving a car, and, of course, is a fan of the green and yellow. Sarah has a background with the horsies, especially dapple ones (and I got to find out what a dapple-colored horsie looked like).  So of course this kid was going to be spending his rooky years in a farm-themed nursery. 

I designed the three to be tied together with the fence at the bottom, but yet be placed around the room as they fit, should the family ever move. Initially, this project was supposed to be a mural, but they and I decided on some canvas work, as a keepsake, as mobile art, and, as Gary likes to joke, an investment in Noah’s college education fund (heh, yeah right! I’m waiting for my art to still pay off MY college education!).

So in the end, we have here, a dapple pony with some li’l chickies peeping at her, two cow buddies, and a John Deere, put-putting away on a faraway field. Either little Noah is going to grow up loving farms and animals as much as his parents, or he’s going to be forever creeped out at animals staring at him. Either way, I had fun doing it, and the grown-ups like it, and there may be one more addition to this project (though not on a canvas!) in the future. By Christmas…If I start on it now….And given that Noah was born in March, I had been working on them before that, and only finished them when he was five months old…I better get cracking!


                               

1 comment:

  1. I want you know Joy, I have made up a song to go with the paintings. Noah smiles every time we sing it. Thank you again for the paintings. They fit in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete