Thursday, May 6, 2010

First Thursday!

Ok, so today is First Thursday!

In alot of cities, they do a special art/open-gallery walk on a certain day of the month. In Indianapolis, its First Friday (by the way, that's tomorrow). In Carmel, Indiana, they do Second Saturdays. In Muncie, Indiana, they have First Thursday.

I'm currently showing several pieces of art each month at a new gallery in Muncie called Art & Soul by Phoebe. It's a cool little place that fills up quick. Their motto is "Artists first." They often have a feature artist, or little contests (this month also hosts a scholarship contest for local high school artists) and sometimes a fun theme. I guess some people would have something against a theme, like their art is supposed to be as it is...or something like that. But you know what? I like the themes. They're not written in concrete, but it is a fun way to get you thinking. My art style bounces around so much that I look at a theme as a challenge. April was a spring theme, ok, easy enough: Flowers! But May? May is retro month. 1950's, 1960's--I heard they even got a restored vintage car to park out front just for kicks. Phoebe is going to put her prom dress on display and all the artwork in the front of the gallery will most likely fit the theme.
It got my creative juices running and here's what I came up with:

hmmmmm....Oooook. The host is is a bit wonky with the pics. I'll try to add them here later, I have to get going to Muncie! If you're here via Facebook, look in my "Acrylics" photo album for "Rewind 1, 2, 3, and 4" and one called "Licked By Rembrandt." Those were my five Art & Soul paintings for this month, I'll explain those titles in a post when I get back!

-Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment