Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why I Didn't Join "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" On Facebook

Apparently today has been declared "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day." I discovered this last night, when a Facebook friend posted a link. I thought about it, and slept on it, and, today, decided not to participate. At least, not on the Facebook link.

Why?

Ok some background. In 2005, when this issue first came to light, when Muslims around the world were protesting and asking for the heads of political cartoonist contributors to Danish newspapers, I was all on board. In college, I was a political cartoonist for the paper, The Reflector, I won awards for my work in journalism contests and got to meet with nationally syndicated, yet local, cartoonist Gary Varvel. Now, while Gary and I disagree politically on many fronts, it was a wonderful chat, he made me think about alot of things cartoonist-wise, and pointed out that there weren't many female political cartoonists. He told me what I could probably do to start getting printed in newspapers, if I had something to say, but after college, I "got busy with post college life" (yeah yeah yeah) and focused on my job that truly paid the bills and stuff, and cartooning got benched. I was greatful for the chance to do it though, because it got me out of the funk I moved to Indiana in: Animation wasn't going to cut it, I was burned out and didn't want to draw, and cartooning eased me back into it. I'm always up on current events and it allowed me to express that. And, you know, I may still jump back in. We'll see.

When the 2005 protest started, I was angry. To be honest, I'll be damned if someone will tell me what I can and can't draw. I looked at the situation like this: I don't adhere to your religion, mores, or whatever. If I did, I would be a member of your sect, culture or whatever, and then you can dictate to me all day what I can and can't do. As it stands, I'm a Lutheran member of the "American" culture (in quotes because it is so diverse) and American country. The religious ideals that I adhere to are of the Christian varity as interpreted by the writings of Martin Luther (and sometimes, whatever pastor is in charge, but, unfortunately, that's a separate issue). The cultural norms and mores that I adhere to are American: We make our own way. We can be a secular nation where (hopefully) no religion or sect, even Lutheranism, can hoist its feelings about something onto all of us (And no, it never really mattered WHAT religion Obama is, or if he has any. He's the head of government, not a church). And I abide by the laws of my country, the United States of America, and most specifically in this case, the First Amendment and all of the rights afforded in it. You know, like Freedom of Speech. I liken it this way: If I was Jewish, I'd have to eat kosher, right? But I'm not, and I'm gonna eat all the Oscar Mayer hot dogs I want, instead of Hebrew National. The freedom to do so, without fear of recourse, is part of me not adhering to that religion. The same thought process allows me to watch Disney movies, because I'm not Southern Baptist. If I had kids, and wanted them baptized, and the Lutheran pastor said I had to have other Lutherans be the godparents, well, I guess I'd have to do what he says on that one, though.

So yeah, I'll be DAMNED if someone is about to tell me what I can and can't draw. Screw you. I'm a political cartoonist (if not anymore in practice, certainly still in spirit) and I have something to say. So I drew this:



I didn't draw an ugly Mohammed. I thought I drew a pretty cute one. I even gave him a halo, to give him holiness. He's not necessarily holy to me, but others think so, so I recognized that. I figured he was probably looking down on his flock, from where ever he was, and thought, "Man, with all that's going on in the world, THAT'S what they're upset about? Really? Wow."

I posted it without fear on DeviantArt, and, despite comments of discouragement and encouragement, I've left it up there. Even when friends warned me to check under my car, afterwards, to make sure it wasn't a bomb. 'Cause see, there have been artists for generations that have had something to say, to push humanity forward, in a sense, and they had to do so without fear of outraged mobs.

Now, as to why I didn't join the Facebook group. I'm not drawing a new picture for this years "day" because the above picture is all I really have to "say" on the issue. That picture, five years later, still represents what I think. I checked out the Facebook page and actually was really appalled by the comments on there. There were people making blatant racist (or religionist?) comments against all Muslims, just being totally disrespectful of the entire group. I think that's wrong. Also, there were the typical, American, Christian-Evangelical-wear-your-religion-on-your-sleeve nutjobs that were posting on there how it's ok to make fun of Mohammed because all of his followers are going to hell anyway because they aren't following the ONE TRUE religion...as dictated by the tele-evangelist they send too much money to each week to be "healed." Yeeeahhh. Not cool either, because, face it, those people are just as much extremist as the ones marching through the streets, carrying signs saying "Kill those who insult Islam." Screw both of you. So I'm not joining your little club.

No one can tell me I have to adhere to their religion, except the one I belong to, and it's completely my choice to belong to that one or not. Jews can't make me not eat pork, Baptists can't make me think the Lion King is sinful, Muslims can't make me not draw Mohammed (or anything else) and Evangelicals can't make me hate everyone that isn't like them or else I'm an evil sinner fornicator that's going to hell (or whatever). Now, if you're a Muslim, I'm not saying you should draw him. If He didn't want you to draw Him, DON'T. But don't call for my head because I did. I'm free to do what I want.

But, c'mon, people, don't go on Facebook and show how ignorant and intolerant you can be. The answer to intolerance is never more intolerance. Pot? Kettle? Extremism on both sides? Draw him for the freedom of drawing him but remember he's important to alot of people, so at least draw him respectfully. And sorry, Pakistan, that Facebook got banned.

No comments:

Post a Comment