Thursday, May 13, 2010

Spray Paint Endeavours

I've finished my three spray paint efforts. I'm reluctant to call them grafitti art, but they were inspired by a contest that was going to be held at the Art & Soul by Phoebe Gallery, in Muncie, but was cancelled after some unwarranted controversy. Anyway, here are my three pieces:



The first one is called "Angry Flower Girl." Why? Because it looks like an angry flower, but also like a girl wearing a green dress with red hair.

The second one is called "Yeah." Figure it out.

The third one is called "Radish." once again, figure it out. Sorry, all my creativity went into making these things, and I had very little left to devote to naming.

I definitely like "Radish" the best. I'm just really really happy with how it came out. The other two are like evolutions. "Angry Flower Girl was my first try. I painted that one free-handed, using some Krylon paint, some Valspar paint, and some off brand Wal-Mart kind for the black and white. I like the flow of it and I like the shape of it and I'm glad with how the colors blended in some parts, but other parts I think I overworked a bit. I like how it moves and the shape of it all...I didn't use stencils on this one, so I might still go back over the black parts with a stencil. I'm torn.

The second try was "Yeah." With that one, the background, the purple and white cloud bits, are free-handed, but the black parts and the word are stenciled. I sketched this out while watching "This Is Not A Show," a REM special that was on Sundance back in March. I was just watching and listening, and this popped in my head. I scribbled it down with a bunch of sharpies, while my boyfriend looked at me, puzzled. I liked the colors, and the three lines in the corner are something I draw to symbolize speech or thoughts. Just my little style. I'm cool with how this turned out, it is what it is. One thing I learned, though, was that next time, I'll probably use some kind of low-tack spray adhesive, instead of little bits of rolled masking tape to stick the stencil down to the plywood. When I sprayed the black, you can kind of see some spots where the paint dusted under the stencil, and the masking tape left a clear, undusted spot. Not happy, but there's nothing I can really do about it. If I try to change it, to fix it, I'll just screw it up. One thing you have to do sometimes is walk away before you make it worse. I had to stick the stencil down somehow.

The third one I did is called "Radish." I'm the happiest with this one. The stencil was fun, I figured out how to not completely screw up the rest of the picture while stenciling (I didn't cover the entire thing everytime on the other one) and I like how the shading on the radish came out. It was a last minute decision and it worked out well in a medium where you pretty much get one shot at it. Spray painting is definitely an artform where you better just make a plan, stick with it, and get it right on the first try, because there are very few re-dos. Acrylics are just the opposite, you can re-do and re-do until you have a big wad of paint on a canvas, and then you can still re-do, because all that extra paint just adds an interesting texture to the background. For reference, come see my painting "Tomoe" in real life. That one has, like, three other paintings under it that I got mad at and covered them up.

The swirly style of the radish is another marker of mine. I like to do these random swirly fruits and vegetables. I've done pineapples and tomatoes in the past, but never anything this big and with spray paint. I may do a pineapple and a tomato still, for the June show at Art & Soul, but I'd probably do them on canvas. These paintings are 4 ft by 3 ft, for the most part, and on plywood, so I'm going to have to get creative as to where I can store them! I love painting big, but, man, storage is what really limits me! Also, I really need to get a higher megapixel camera. My shots of these paintings really suck. Hmmm, I think after my next sale, that may be on my list. :)

So, what do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment