Tuesday, May 25, 2010

From The Earth...

One last spray paint painting...or at least psuedo-spray paint painting:






This one's called "From The Earth." The background is spray paint and the moon is painted in acrylic. Hence the "psuedo."

I've always wanted to paint the moon, but, maybe its just because of my eyes being bad, the moon has always had a nice glow around it when I look at it. In photographs, its very clear, but I wanted to make sure it had that glow. How I see it.

The canvas was repurposed from the second attempt at the Pineapple painting, the one that I overdid and ended up kinda grey-looking. If you look closely, you can still see the outline of the pineapple beyond the black parts. I was wanting to cover up the spray work underneath, and more spray paint will cover up spray paint nicely. It just dawned on me how to make the glow behind the moon! Spray!

The acrylic moon I painted very rough, let the paint stand up in little peaks to simulate craters. Best part: I pointed out about where Apollo 11 would have landed to my boyfriend when I finished it, Sunday night. On Monday's episode of the Big Bang Theory, they were pointing a laser at the moon, more specifically, at the Apollo 11 landing site.

Also on Monday, after taking From The Earth and the others to Phoebe's, my story for the day at work was about some kids that broke into the Carmel Performing Arts Center Palladium and sprayed words all over the dry wall. Spray paint, all day. I was joking on our way up there that it was really an art form...but really they were just being juvenile. And not that bright: They almost misspelled "Carmel" as caramel, and had to correct it. Duh.

Stuff like that keeps happening, I might start believing THE MAN is watching me, like Big Brother or something!

Anyway, I was so happy with my painting of the moon, I almost didn't want to take it to Phoebe's for sale. I like it! But maybe someone will like it more and buy it, and that's the point. I could cover my whole house with all my work, but I'd rather it go to someone else's house. Eventually, I'll run out of room. I'm on the fence about painting more moons, like a moon series. Maybe some half moons, or a copper moon (when its low and large on the horizon some nights). This will all follow the political stuff I'm gearing up for, for Phoebe's July show. It's supposed to have a patriotic theme, and we were discussing how, sometimes, dissent is the best form of patriotism. Or at least questioning and not blindly following is the best form of patriotism. I've got three ideas so far, and canvas is on sale this week. Yay! I can't wait for my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment